Monday, August 14, 2006

Yet another pointless preseason football post no one outside of myself likely cares about.

This actually happened a few days ago, but I had already posted twice on preseason football, who’s existence is almost as pointless than, say blog posts about said preseason football. So I was wary on posting yet again about these exhibition games, I mean I didn’t want to interrupt all the great nothing that was going on at the blog and I certainly didn’t want to step on the toes or get in the way of all the posts that have been flying back and forth recently. But I decided what the hell, why not upload a post about something that means absolutely nothing making the post worth less than nothing. This posts hopes to someday, with enough hard work and dedication to become nothing.

I followed, over the internet, the 49ers pre season opener earlier this week. Now you may be asking, what kind of sadomasochist are you? Or possibly, I don’t even know any sadist who would go for that kind of ordeal. Well what can I say, I wanted to see what that old first round draft pick from two years ago was up to. A 24 million dollar guaranteed Mr. Alex Smith. After managing somewhere in the area of 13 interceptions as well as numerous fumbles as the result of untouched pass attempts (oh yea a one single touchdown pass) I was wondering how the now second year veteran was getting along in norv turner’s offence and how he would do going up against the Chicago bears, who had the best defense in the league last year (and even better than the super bowl shuffle Chicago bears).

So how did they/he do, you ask? Surprisingly very well, hell better than that, they played great. Like they did in the season opener against the rams last year. Alex Smith gave up an impressive 0 fumbles, that’s right the man with the supposed tiny hands did not fumble once. And for this bit of news you may want to take a seat and surround yourself with pillows because smith threw NO interceptions. No that’s not a typo, he actually complete nearly all the passes that he wasn’t throwing away, going 16/21 and managed to not throw a single interception. trust me, when talking about alex smith of the 49ers that is a big deal. On top of that the 9ers managed to actually score points, and not just field goals for once. They scored actual touchdowns, which were absent for games at a time last year.

Now I know it was the first game of the entirely meaningless preseason but damn if there weren’t hopeful signs out there. The offense looked competent, the quarterback didn’t get sacked, didn’t fumble and didn’t throw and interception. The defense stopped the run and actually contained the pass. I guess having a secondary that isn’t injured and made up entirely of rookies does make a difference.

Despite it all meaning nothing, here’s to a better season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home